You can access the CodeX[ml] application for navigating documents in two ways: from an OPAC or by means of another application able to "call" CodeX[ml] or accessing the Codex[ml] XML Navigator home page by means of a browser.
In the first case, once you have accessed the application, the screen will be divided in two areas:
- on the right, the first page or the title page ("Frontespizio") of the selected document will be displayed;
- on the left, the "Document Navigation" page will be displayed.
In the second case instead:
- on the right, the application home page will be displayed;
- on the left, the "Search" page will be displayed.
Now, using the vertical bar on the left you'll be able to enter the different application's sections, which will always be on the left side of the screen.
The application sections (left side of the screen)
This section allows Codex[ml] XML Navigator login to see non public resources. It is possible to use different authentication methods: using Maestrale, using CAS (Central Authentication Service), or using a Ticket.
This section allows to look for a document or for a resource in the CodeX[ml] data storage in different ways:
- through the on line catalogues of the resources owner agencies (the links at the top of the page lead to the online catalogues of the agencies which own the digital resources stored in Codex[ml] data storage);
- using the administrative metadata which allow to identify a document or a resource (e.g. an image) unambiguously:
- Document Identifier: optional; which corresponds to the "dc:identifier" of a MAG record;
- Resource Identifier: optional; to use in order to view a resource other than the default one at the opening of the document; it is the identifier assgned to the resource when it is inserted into Codex[ml];
- Inventory number (with inventory series): mandatory;
- Agency identifier: mandatory; it is the docuemnt owner agencies ID (in this case you have to select 'Agency identifier'), or the internal Codex[ml] agency ID (in this case you have to select 'Codex[ml] Agency identifier');
- using XML Navigator internal id for the selected XML, possibly together with the identifier of the resource, in order to view a resource other than the default one at the opening of the document.
This section describes and allows to navigate the structure of the selected digital document. The structure is visualized by means of a tree like navigation menu dynamically built from XML metadata, which represents the document's sections and the digital resources linked to each of them.
- Title: the title of the selected document;
- Resource gallery: this slider allows the sequential navigation of the resources linked to the selected document. You can use the gallery in different ways:
- using the single arrow, you can navigate the resources one by one, using the double arrow instead you can go to the first or to the last resource of the sequence (A);
- moving the blue circle (B) to the right or to the left, you can navigate all the resources jumping from one to another;
- entering the progressive number of the resource in the left box and using the button SEARCH (C) you'll jump immediately to the selected resource. The two boxes report respectively the number of the last resource selected and the total number of the resources. Inserendo il numero progressivo corrispondente all'ordine con cui la risorsa compare nella mappa strutturale del documento all'interno del riquadro più a sinistra e premendo il pulsante CERCA (C) si salta direttamente alla risorsa desiderata. I due riquadri rappresentano rispettivamente il numero corrispondente all'ultima risorsa visualizzata e il numero totale di risorse.
- Tree: This section visualizes the structural map of the selected document by means of a tree format. The tree nodes represent the different parts or sections of the document (e.g. the chapters of a book). To navigate the map you just have to click on the name of the section you want to see, then another node will be opened showing, according to the document structure, one or more subsections, or one or more resources with the information of the resource type (which may be an image -img-, an audio file, a video file, an ocr file, or a text file -doc-) between square brackets.
To display a resource you just have to select it; then the name of the selected resource will be displayed in the "Nomenclature" box at the bottom of the tree. On the right side of the screen the image will be displayed, or, if the resource is an audio, a video or other, you'll be able to download it, if allowed.
This section provides two further features: "Expand" tree and "Collapse" tree which allow to open and close the tree with a single click.
This section provides the link to the OAI-PMH record
This section provides the main information about the selected document.
- Inventory number;
At the bottom of this section there are the links to the collection's and to the document owner agency's or to the project's web site.
This section provides the main technical metadata of the selected resource. Such metadata concern both the displayed resource, and the master resource stored for digital preservation purposes.
- MIME: resource format;
- Size: resource size in byte;
- Usage: the usage for which the resource has been created;
- Sampling frequency: sampling frequency, in DPI for still images e in kHz for audio files;
- Compression: compression type;
- Video size: size of the video image in pixels;
- Image width: image width in pixels;
- Image height: image heght in pixels;
- Duration: audio or video duration.
Using this button you can open the panel that provides access to a navigation mode that favors images display at the expense of metadata related to them.
Image display (right side of the screen)
The right side of the video displays the selected resource. If the selected resource is an image and if visualization is allowed, it is immediately displayed.
For each resource, many features are provided, according to resource type and authorizations.
The provided features are:
- Navigation window:
positioning the cursor on the arrow at the right of the screen, over the image a navigation window will be displayed, allowing to perform zoom functions and to reload the image(A). Selecting the arrows placed on the navigation window edges(B) you can move over the image;
- DOWNLOAD: allows to download the resource if allowed;
- DOWNLOAD OCR: allows to download the OCR file related to an image if allowed.;
- BUY: enables to access the e-commerce module, if provided.
At the bottom of the image display section there is a slider
which allows to move through the resources. Using the single arrow, you can navigate the resources one by one, using the double arrow instead you can go to the first or to the last resource of the sequence. By entering the progressive number of the resource in the box, you'll jump immediately to the selected resource
To have a better navigation experience, you can expand the image display, closing the page on the left side of the screen by clicking on the
|| "Close" button which replace the active section icon.
|| Even within this visualization you will be able to know the image title by positioning the cursor on this icon
At the right top of the page there are three buttons which allow to:
||go back to application's home page;
||to change the page's language;
||to access the credit page.